Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Lunsemfwa Canal Disaster & Subsequent Repairs - November 2009

Canal failure: 25-10-2009
 Causes of failure: Seepage and Insufficient Drainage @ Damaged Section





We inspect the damage with Mr. C. Nkaka (Bricklayer).

Mr. Lungu and Mr. Kapambwe start preparing the site.
 

Repairs ~ 31-10-2009. Note Mr. E. Silwamba on the immediate left.
 


31-10-2009: Some water is allowed to pass through the channel
 


7-11-2009 Generation @ 6MW
 


Tempers cooled down from operations upon seeing this raw material.
 

The completed structure complete with Gabion baskets 1-12-2009



Generation at 18.5MW

From right to left: Mr. K. Kachasa (The General manager-LHPC), Mr. I. Chiti (Ops and Maintenance Manager) and Mr. Kamanga (Station Manager-LPS) inspect the site on 2 Nov, 2009.
There is always that feeling we have as young engineers that when you reach a certain level of influence and affluence then you can afford to relax. I know better now. I am grateful for having remarkable people for superiors.
To Mr. Chiti, I say thank you very much for believing in a raw young man, straight out of college (Me). God bless you and your family.
To Mr. Kachasa, thanks for teaching me the that in life you must work hard and even harder as you reach higher heights. May you live for many years to come and see all that is in your rich vision for LHPC come to fruition.
To Mr. Kamanga, we are now in the spot light due to the 6MW turbine coming on board by next February, so your success will guarantee my own. Feel free to wake me up at any time when we have a problem. Most system disturbances are from ZESCO and I know how much you treasure those Francis turbines at LPS. I am here to help. Call on me anytime. Cheers for receiving me as one of your own at LPS.

Sincere regards,

Nathan Mashawu Kanema
 











No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly Zambian

Proudly Zambian
Born and Bred in Zambia, Central Africa, 10101

Pages

Blogs I Follow